Christmas at America's First Cathedral
Baltimore Choral Arts Chorus & Orchestra
Janice Chandler Eteme, soprano
Tom Hall, conductor
Free bonus DVD included!
In addition to familiar seasonal music by Mendelssohn, Handel, Rutter, and others, Christmas at America’s First Cathedral features music from South Africa, Canada, and the United States, including the premiere recordings of seven new works by two of America’s most important African American composers, Dr. Rosephanye Powell and Dr. James Lee III. Dr. Lee’s motet, "A Clean Heart" is from a collection of four motets composed in 2009. The six selections by Dr. Powell comprise a suite called, Christmas Give, commissioned by Baltimore Choral Arts and given its world premiere December 1, 2009 at the Baltimore Basilica.
The bonus DVD includes selections from that concert, including Dr. Powell reading two poems and interviews with Tom Hall about the program and its historic venue.
Recorded in the resonant acoustics of America's first Cathedral, the Baltimore Basilica.
1. Rise Up! Arise! — Felix Mendelssohn (3:33)
2. Gabriel’s Message — Eleanor Daley (1:51)
3. Come Colours Rise — Grant McLachlan (4:46)
4. I Saw Three Ships — arr. Robert Shaw & Alice Parker (1:45)
5. Christmas Memories* — Rosephanye Powell (3:49)
6. Precious Gift His Wondrous Birth — Dave Brubeck (1:56)
7. Ring the Bells* — Powell (2:40)
8. A Clean Heart* — James Lee III (5:06)
9. Christus Natus Est*— Powell (5:10)
10. Hallelujah, Amen — G. F. Handel (2:49)
11. Have You Seen the Baby Jesus?* — Powell (2:46)
12. The Flight into Egypt — Hector Berlioz (5:46)
13. Jesus Child — John Rutter (3:30)
14. Holy Night* — Powell (2:38)
15. Ogo ni fun Oluwa*— Powell (2:47)
16. Mary’s Lullaby — Rutter (3:13)
17. Hallelujah Chorus — Handel (4:05)
Total time: 58:14
*World Premiere Recording